Event and audit log integration
The integration of system events into BVQ is a major improvement. In addition to performance and configuration information, BVQ now collects system event- and audit logs and makes included entries visible in a special tabular event view or in the Performance-View. You can switch on the display of events in the Performance-View from the option panel. This enables you to see impacts of certain events on performance easily.
The event table view can be opened from the main menu or by double clicking an event marker in the performance chart. The table view provides a tabular overview off all events with many different filter or sorting options.
The topology filtering option isolate introduced in BVQ Version 4.0 is now enhanced with a attribute filter feature. This allows a user to reduce the number of objects in a Topology-View to those having a specific characteristic described by different attributes like capacity metrics, configuration parameters or performance indicators. Multiple attribute filters can be applied to each object type occurring in the topology path. For example, you can filter the object type "VDisk" to only show thin provisioned ones using the filter equation
SEV real capacity > 0. All configured filter settings will be stored within the favorites you save or in your start layout. Simply click "Add filter" in the menu of a path object to add a filter - see below.
To reset all all isolate and attribute filters at once, the clear all filterbutton can be used. Attribute filters and isolate filters can be applied in parallel.
New system features supported
Over time IBM added additional cluster modes to enhance robustness against site failures. To support this new features, controller, nodes and hosts can be assigned to a site. This is now reflected in BVQ with the object type Site (SVC).
|Code version||Feature||Objects that can be assigned to a site|
|7.2||Enhanced stretched cluster||Controller, Node|
Controller, Node, Host
To see an example of a site aware toplogy you can easily use the path /BVQ/Cluster/Site (SVC)/Node:
Enclosures occur in all types of systems like Storwize, Flash or SVC nodes with expansions enclosures attached. They are now integrated as an independent object type with all details available in the detail pane. Simply integrate Enclosure in your object path:
Global mirror with change volumes and Hyperswap
Global mirror with change volumes were introduced in SVC version 6.3. With IP Mirroring and Local Hyperswap additional functions based on this feature have been added. So we integrated the relationships between RC relationships and configured Change volumes (VDisks mapped to according Flash copy mappings). You now can browse such configurations with paths like /BVQ/RC relationship/FC mapping/VDisk.
Easy Tier load
Easy tier load is an attribute of MDisks used in Easy Tier configurations. It can be displayed in BVQ inside the detail pane of each MDisk and as a column inside a Treetable showing MDisks. You can also use it in the new attribute filter feature of the Topology-View
Quorum index is an attribute of selected MDisks or Drives. It can be displayed in BVQ inside the detail pane of these Object types and as a column inside a Treetable showing them. You can also use it in the new attribute filter feature of the Topology-View.
Ultra high resolution monitor support
Ultra High definition monitors (UHD) with resolutions up to 4k are increasingly used. With this release, BVQ is ready for use on such monitors and will benefit from the gained space and sharpness. We tested monitor scaling up to 175% on 27" and 32" 4k monitors with excellent results. Using the BVQ GUI on a two 32" 4k monitor environment is a good recommendation.
BVQ does not support multi-monitor connected to the same computer with monitors set to different scaling factors. Most of this will work, but there are too many known and inevitable problems caused by Java 8 and Windows 10 to support this completely.
Improved date-axis in Performance-View
We improved the usability of the date-axis shown in charts of a Performance-View. Based on the visible time period, tick marks (vertical lines) and according labels are adjusted dynamically. This will make it easier to align observed performance events with the time they occurred.
Requirements and restrictions
Requirements of the HW/SW environment
Minimum BVQ version required for an update
DB2 Advanced Workgroup Server Edition V10.5 FP5
|Java Runtime version|
Update step by step
Important update notes
- BVQ license: A new license file may be necessary to use certain new features.
- GUI favorites: During some of the GUI updates the predefined favorites are replaced. Possible user changes will be lost. However, changes in user favorites and all user favorites are kept.
- Update DB2 JRE: Before installing the BVQ update please upgrade DB2 and JRE to the recommended versions.
- If you have problems: Please contact your BVQ support partner
- Checking for correct function of the environment, in particular function of the scanner.
- Manual stop of BVQ Scanner and Alerting-service, Scheduler-services and also of all GUIs and reporting-clients
- Backup of BVQ installation directory and BVQ DB (e.g. DB offline backup with DB2 CMD, VMware snapshots)
- Starting again the BVQ Scanner
- Update BVQ Install Package Repository:
- DB Schema update
- BVQ GUI update
- BVQ Reporting Engine update
- BVQ Report Module update
- BVQ SVC Scanner update
- BVQ VMware Scanner update
- BVQ Scheduler update
- BVQ Alerting update
- Performing functional tests
- If necessary inform colleagues about the need to update locally installed BVQ GUI / report clients.
Integrate VMware VVOL support attributes introduced with SVC v7.6
Integrate attribute "easy_tier_load" of MDisk
Integrate attribute "quorum index" attribute of MDisk & Drive
Integrate Global Mirror with Change Volumes
Integrate object type "site" of Nodes, Controllers and Hosts
Integrate attributes "topology" & "topology_status" of Clusters
Integrate object type "Enclosure"
Integrate Event and Audit Log
Enable Offline-Scanner to collect event and audit details
|Enable multiple installations with a postfix|
|SVC Scanner: scanner.port should be configurable|
|Cluster selection Dialog: Optimizations|
|Object-Contextmenu: Performance: Restructuring vdisk and vdisk copy|
|Add "Clear all filters" Button to Path-Browser|
|Treemap: DragDrop: Extend validation rules for child mdisk groups handling|
|Detail-Pane: Update with single click|
|Treemap: Object-Contextmenu: Revise selection funktionality|
|Performance view: Cleanup date axis|
|Performance view: Add dynamic tickmarks to date axis|
|Analytic Favorites: "Rename" => "Edit Properties" + change favorite type|
|Topology View: Default split pane location should be last used split pane location|
|Support monitor HighDPI scaling up to 175% for monitors up to 4k 27".|
SLA / Data class link logic broken
|Critical||BVQ-10632||Scheduler/Scanner||Hardening for DB connection pool limit reached|
Topology View: Navigation Panel: Textmode: Same element in path leads to exception
Topology View: Navigation Panel: Textmode cuts first element on mode change if "BVQ" is not first element
Exception if GUI Windows are moved across monitors with different text scaling (Windows 10)
Performance View: Explicit auto scale "true" via chart properties is overwritten when "Auto scale" is pressed
|BVQ-10865||Common||SVC 7.7 Toleration Support|
|Perf Persister: Reduce persisttime for huge clusters|
|BVQ-10886||Common||Enhance mdisk to controller port linking when round robin mode is used|
|BVQ-10943||SVC Scanner||Hardening for all supported time-zones|
|BVQ-10868||GUI||Pathes: Align VDisks to Site relations to LHS and Stretched Clusters|
|BVQ-10869||GUI||Pathes: Enable more object types behind Room and Site|
DB Schema Manager
Message: "Installation successful" with wrong user
|Critical||BVQ-10747||VMware Scanner||Topology persist: Invalid topology file not moved to error on "Invalid topology xml file Exception"|
|Critical||BVQ-11078||SVC Scanner||Error scanning node boot drives: CMMVC5702E  is below the minimum level.|
|Critical||BVQ-11122||Scheduler||Data Expiry: If 1 unknown cluster is in the system, all performance and performance indicator data are removed|
|Critical||BVQ-11029||GUI||Editor MDisk group & VDisk: Alert rules: Right click on object shows no context menu|
Performance view: Exceptions during chart movement by cursor keys
Treemap: Selection of treemap element very slow
Treemap: Exception with massive number of objects in one group
Treetable: Incorrect & missing Cache Attributes
Editor: NPE when trying to add an child objects to existing object
Editor Data- & Storage Class: Exception bei add DC2SCPR
Editor SLA: Filled incompletely when called fron Data class
Editor Disk Array: Copy object: OK inactive in succeeding editor
Editor Alert ruler: Add alert condition creates NPE
SVC scanner: Service log email configuration creates excpetion
EventScan: Eventlog files in "new" are never cleaned up
|Performance view: Chart end time displays 1min lower as configured|
|Editor SLA: ValidFrom / ValidTo does not work as expected|
|Favorites: Folder "System" is displayed twice|
DP VDisk copy / MDisk: Wrong value for extent size shown
Treetable: MDiskTier: Wrong attribute grouping
Treetable: VDisk copy: Grain size: No filter dropdown
Treetable: Filter not correct reapplied when attributes added / removed
Pre requisite software links
- Hardware requirements
- Software pre-requisites
- SVC Storwize settings
- Other conditions
- Adjustment of virus scanner on the BVQ server
- The stated minimum requirements allow operation in an environment depending on the number of volumes.
Please ask back for sites larger than 8000 volumes.
SVC/V7000 supported software versions
Please take a look at this page: Supported SVC software environments
- Most installations are carried out on a VMware guest system.
During production the following setups should be planned for different sizes.
Number of volumes
3GHz, 4 cores
1000 - 4000
3GHz, 4 cores
4000 - 8000
3GHz, 6 cores
Supported operating systems
The following table lists which operating systems are supported for servers and clients.
Operating system (English/German)
BVQ client workstation (GUI)
|Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2, |
64 Bit, (English / German+ current patches)
|Windows Server 2008 (>=SP1), 2008 R2, |
64 Bit, (English / German+ current patches)
Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2, 64 Bit
|Windows 8, 8.1 (+current patches)|
Windows 7 SP1, 64 Bit (+current patches)
Windows Vista SP 1, 64 Bit (+current patches)
In addition, the following conditions have to be met:
The name of the host / the server (s) (especially BVQ DB server or their combinations) MAY NOT BE BVQ! (otherwise the required BVQ user on the system can not be created!)
- The time and time zone of the BVQ server must be equal to the time of the monitored SVC cluster. Here NTP is recommended for automated configuration time.
- The BVQ server (BVQ DB server / server BVQ / BVQ GUI), needs the LAN side of the split port 50000 for communication between server / GUI and DB to be unlocked and accessible.
- For communication between the server and BVQ to monitor SVC clusters, the port 22 has to be open for SSH or SCP or accessible.
DB2 Advanced Workgroup Server Edition
IBM DB2 AWSE version 10.5 fix pack 5 is required on the database server.
The OEM license needed for installation is included in BVQ and therefore does not need to be purchased separately.
An overview of the latest version can be obtained at: http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=71&uid=swg27007053
In the section # DB2 installation, a detailed step by step manual for installing DB2 can be found.
Java Runtime Environment (JRE)
An Oracle Java Runtime Environment version 1.8.x with most current patches should to be installed on the BVQ server, database server and the clients.
The Java Runtime Environment 32/64 bit version must match the bit version of the operating system!
The installed version of Java and the Java file association can be checked by using the following commands:
PuTTY is a free Secure Shell (SSH) client. It allows to send direct commands via a terminal session to the SVC CLI. PuTTY is required during installation of BVQ to check the following SVC parameters and to adapt them if necessary:
- #SVC performance statistics intervall and #SVC time synchronization.
- After the BVQ installation, PuTTY can be opened via the GUI. Then it is possible to execute VDisk migrations, which were created with the GUI, on the corresponding SVC cluster by using SVC CLI.
- Usually PuTTy is installed on the BVQ server and (if required) on the BVQ client workstations.
- PuTTY (putty.exe) can be downloaded at: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html
Create a SSH-key
For mutual authentication between SVC and PuTTY, an SSH-key is needed. The creation of an SSH-key is described in the following section:
Download PuTTY (puttygen.exe) from the following website: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html
Then execute puttygen.exe:
- Accept the parameters SSH-2 RSA and number of bits in a generated key: 1024.
- Select 'Generate'. Then move the cursor over the popup window to the button 'Key is fully created'.
- The 'Key passphrase' and 'Confirm passphrase' have only to be entered, if the private key has to be additionally protected by passphrase.
- Select 'Save public key'. Enter a file name with the extension .pub (for example: SVCClusterName_Username.pub) and then save the file in a separate directory: eg * \ SSH_Key_SVC.
- Select 'Save private key'.
- Click 'Yes'. This confirms that you want to save the key without a passphrase.
Then enter the file name with the extension of .ppk (eg: SVCClusterName_Username.ppk). Save the file in the same folder as the public key.
- Close the PuTTY key generator.
Upload public key in SVC
The key can be assigned to the SVC GUI to an existing user. Alternatively, a new SVC user for BVQ can be created.
1. Call the SVC GUI and authenticate as Security Admin or Superuser.
2. Select 'User Management' -> User.
3. Add the SSH public key to a new or existing users.
The SSH key user must be in the user group 'Security admin' or 'Admin'.
[BVQ> prerequisites> svc_sshkey.PNG]
Adobe Acrobat compatible reader
The included BVQ reports are created as PDF files by default. To view them a PDF reader is required.
The Adobe Acrobat Reader software can be downloaded from the Internet at the following link: http://get.adobe.com/de/reader/
TeamViewer or Cisco WEBEX for support purposes
The BVQ team prefers the software 'TeamViewer' for world wide remote support. TeamViewer can be installed on the BVQ server (or as workaround on security issues on any work station with RDP access to the BVQ server).
The TeamViewer software can be downloaded at the following link: http://www.teamviewer.com/de/download/index.aspx
TeamViewer is our preferred tool but remote access can also be instantiated with many other methods.
SVC Storwize settings
SSH and SCP access to SVC/V7000 cluster using SSH key
2 unused SSH login sessions per SVC cluster and server BVQ
SVC time synchronization
Before starting the scanning services on the affected SVC clusters, the following actions have to be performed:
- Ensure the correct SVC cluster time and time zone (eg: Europe / Berlin, UTC ...)
This should be automated via NTP.
- Important! The scanner scans at 1.4 attempts performance matched to the time of delivery of SVC data.
This requires that the clocks on the BVQ servers and SVC nodes are synchronized!
- The best way to ensure this is achieved by using NTP:
- BVQ scanner system: Time Synchronization with NTP Server option
- SVC / Storwize cluster: Time synchronization with NTP Server option.
SVC performance statistics interval
The SVC performance data is copied at regular intervals by BVQ scanner into the BVQ database. To achieve this BVQ requires a solid SVC performance statistics interval of 5 minutes.
- Check whether old remnants of 'iostat' files on the SVC clusters exist and delete them if necessary (SVC GUI - \> list dumps ...)
- SVC perf statistics enable tracing in 5min intervals (BVQ version 3 will also be able to support 1 min intervals)
Active directory - Domain registration
If a domain registration is used, the database and the BVQ users have to be created in advance as described in active directory domains registration.
The following table provides an overview of the required users and their user groups in active directory.
UAC - User Access Control Windows 2008 R2 / Vista / Windows 7
Starting with Windows Vista Microsoft introduced the User Access Control (UAC) on the Windows platform. The intention was to avoid that all actions are performed with administrator privileges.
For the duration of the BVQ SW-installation, it may be necessary to set the UAC to 'Never notify' (reboot needed!).
When the installation is finished UAC can be resetted to the previous level.
- Start -> execute ... -> uac
To install set control to "Never notify".
Reset after a successful installation to the original value.
For communication between SVC and BVQ a Secure Shell (SSH) connection is required. For this purpose the BVQ SSH / telnet client PuTTY is used in addition.
The following parameters must be defined in PuTTY for connecting to a SVC cluster:
- Category: session
Hostname (or IP address) = IP address or DNS entry of the appropriate SVC cluster
Port = 22
Connection type = SSH
Saved sessions = enter name of the corresponding SVC cluster
- Category: connection -> data
Auto-login username = bvq
- Category: connection -> SSH -> auth
Private key file for authentication = off # SSH key created select 'Create. Ppk file'
- Back to category: session
Save button to save settings permanently
On first connection attempt an error message may appear that the SSH fingerprint is not saved in the registry. Confirm this warning once.
BVQ GUI remote desktop with Microsoft RDP
The redirection of the BVQ GUI-operation from a server to a workstation by using Microsoft Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) is supported. But losses in rendering quality and speed must be expected.
Therefore, it is recommended to use GUI to BVQ screen directly without detours.
In Windows 2008 Terminal Services environments certain settings need to be considered before installing (in user mode enable installation).
Please follow this link for more information: http://www.techotopia.com/index.php/Installing_Applications_for_Windows_Server_2008_Terminal_Services
Adjustment of virus scanner on the BVQ server
The following directories should not be scanned!
Problematic behavior has been observed in connection with the virus scanner from Sopohs. This can potentially be also relevant for other virus scanners.
Pre installation checklist
- BVQ demo installation - step by step
- BVQ installation - questions and answers
- BVQ installation manual
- BVQ users manual
- Customize BVQ for IO heat map analysis (only needed for BVQ for SVC)
- Teamviewer - how to use it for remote control and meetings